Is it possible to get tick history data for currency via Python RD API Historical Summaries

Is it possible to get tick history data for currency via Python RD API Historical Summaries ?

Answers

• Hello @navtej.riyait

I found this information on the LSEG Data Library for Python get_history example page that the "get_history" interface supports the "tick" interval:

interval.png

• Note 1: The LSEG Data Library for Python is the version 2 of the Refinitiv Data Library for Python.
    • Note 2: The Refinitiv Data Library for Pthton version 1.6.x also supports this tick interval too.

I did a quick test with the LSEG Data Library - Python (pypi), and the result is as follows:

Code:

import lseg.data as ld

ld.open_session()

ld.get_history(universe=["EUR="],

fields=["BID", "ASK"],

interval="tick",

start = "2024-08-01", end = "2024-08-20")

Result:

example.png

Please note that there is also the LSEG Tick History - REST API which can be access from any REST API libraries such as the Python requests, so I strongly suggest you contact the Account Manager to verify which product is suitable for the client's needs.

• Is it possible to generate the same (tick history data) using refinitiv.dataplatform package instead of lseg.data package?

• Hello @erandi.dunumala

Like I answered above, the Refinitiv Data Library for Python version 1.6.x also supports this tick interval.

• Hi Wasin,

Do you have example/repo link for generating tick history data using Refinitiv Data Library?

• Hello @navtej.riyait

The example is available on this LSEG-API-Samples / Example.DataLibrary.Python (main branch )repository.

Note: Please be noticed that it is the same repo as the LSEG Data Library example (the Main branch is "Refinitiv Data Library" and the lseg-data-example branch is for the "LSEG Data Library".

• Yes, you can retrieve historical tick data for currencies via the Refinitiv Data (RD) API's Historical Summaries feature in Python. By using the API, you can query specific currency pairs, define a date range, and request tick-level data. You'll need to authenticate using your API credentials, specify the currency pair (e.g., EUR/USD), and configure the request to retrieve tick data within a given time period. The RD API allows detailed historical price information for foreign exchange, provided you have the proper access and API setup.