How to use get_symbology method using Lipper ID

I tried to use the following call to search for different fund symbols. It was working using RIC, ISIN, but always got an error when using LipperID:

ek.get_symbology(["LP60000008"], from_symbol_type="RIC", to_symbol_type="LipperID")

It will fail using "from" or "to". I tried "lipperID", "LipperID", "Lipper ID", "Lipper_ID". I think the error message do not offer me a valid string for Lipper ID.

For the sample fund above the Lipper ID should be "60000008". i.e. the last 8 character in the RIC. It will be nice if a working sample using Lipper ID in get_symbology call can be provided.

Best Answer

• Jirapongse
    Answer ✓

The correct one should be "lipperID". However, in the request message, it has been changed to "LipperID". It could be the problem in the library.

('entity: ', 'SymbologySearch')

('payload: ', {'symbols': ['LP60000008'], 'to': ['LipperID'], 'from': 'RIC', 'bestMatchOnly': True})

Request: {"ID": "123", "Entity": {"E": "SymbologySearch", "W": {"symbols": ["LP60000008"], "to": ["LipperID"], "from": "RIC", "bestMatchOnly": true}}}

HTTP Response: 200 - {"ErrorCode":500,"ErrorMessage":"Can not process metadata for request: SymbologySearch.to - value doesn't fall in valid range: [RIC ISIN CUSIP SEDOL ticker lipperID OAPermID IMO]\n{\n \"bestMatchOnly\": true,\n \"from
    \": \"RIC\",\n \"symbols\": [\n \"LP60000008\"\n ],\n \"to\": [\n \"LipperID\"\n ]\n}","Id":""}

Answers

• I got the following exception:

raise requests.HTTPError(error_message, response=server_response)
    requests.exceptions.HTTPError: Can not process metadata for request: SymbologySe
    arch.to - value doesn't fall in valid range: [RIC ISIN CUSIP SEDOL ticker lipper
    ID OAPermID IMO]

However, refer to Eikon Python API guide, the possible values for from_symbol_type and to_symbol_type are 'CUSIP', 'ISIN', 'SEDOL', 'RIC', and 'ticker'.

• So the Error message showing "lipperID" is a valid option is a mistake and Lipper ID is not supported by this method? Hope someone can confirm that.

• Great! So it is just a bug. Hope it can be fixed soon. Thank you for the quick response!

• It sure looks like a bug in the Python library. I just tried the same request
    get_symbology("LP60000008", from_symbol_type="RIC", to_symbol_type="lipperID"))
    in R using eikonapir from GitHub, and it works just fine.