EMA C++ MRN Consumer Client - how to handle connection and status issues

I have the "EMA Consumer - Request & Decode Machine Readable News" as the basis for an MRN consumer client up and running.

I need to be able to cope with connection issues and status messages. I cannot find that information in the "ELEKTRON MESSAGE API DEVELOPERS GUIDE".

Can anybody give me an example of how to deal with connection issues and OnStatusMsg issues?

Thanks

Dave

Best Answer

• umer.nalla
    Answer ✓

Hi @Dave Streeter

Please refer to the following post on details regards Status Msgs

Handling Rssl states in ETA API

Although it talks about ETA - similar principals apply to EMA. As mentioned by Brian Sandri, take a look at the ETA developer guide - Appendix A 'Item and Group Decision table'

EMA will try and recover connections and items for you when possible. Use ChannelSets as opposed to a single Channel - to allow EMA to attempt failover to another server if the connection to one fails - Multiple hostnames

Answers

• @Umer Nalla

In Appendix A there is a column STATUS TYPE. This has a value of Item or Group. How should this be used for MRN via EMA?

Thanks

Dave

• Hi @Dave Streeter

From an EMA Consumer perspective you would only be interested in Items.

Groups are used by Provider applications to communicate changes to the state/status for groups of instruments more efficiently.