Why are there so many "Eikon Box" processes running on my computer?

My computer will be incredibly slow if I login Eikon. I checked my task manager and was surprised by the 20 'Eikon Box' processes running in background. Are there any solutions?

BTW, I used Eikon Python API.

Win2012, python, pycharm, Eikon 4.0+

Best Answer

• Eikon application is based on multi process architecture, which is common in many modern Windows applications including Web browsers. I suggest you check that your PC is conforms to recommended spec, which you can find following the link below and clicking on "PC Requirements".
    http://eikon.thomsonreuters.com
    The only way to reduce the number of Eikon processes running is by closing the workspaces and Eikon apps you don't use. But even if you close everything leaving only Eikon toolbar with an empty workspace, you will still be left with a handful of Eikon processes and there's no way around it. Assuming your PC is up to the spec, Eikon processes should not be slowing down your PC unless you're running out of memory. If you close all workspaces and apps and leave only Eikon toolbar you should see that Eikon processes consume no CPU resources worth mentioning. There are some Eikon apps that can consume significant amount of CPU. If you need to use those apps, then again I'm afraid there's no workaround. If an app needs processing power on the desktop to perform its function, than that's what the app needs.

Answers

• Thank you for your answer!

My Eikon consume all my CPU resources even no app is running.

I ran 'netstat' in cmd window, and find out that there were about more than 50 TCP links between my local ports. like '127.0.0.1:9001' to '127.0.0.1:490'. I think the cpu power were consumed by serving those local connections.

• Is it a single Eikon process that takes up all the CPU or is the load split between multiple processes? Do you see this CPU consumption when none of your scripts are running? Try rebooting your machine, then launching Eikon with -nofile command line switch to ensure no workspaces are loaded (run "eikon.exe -nofile") and before you run any of your scripts see if you still get high CPU utilization by Eikon processes.

• Since Eikon is based on multiprocess architecture, it implements a lot of interprocess communication. But when only Eikon toolbar is running, none of the apps are open and nothing is consuming data from Eikon, there should be very little interprocess communication happening, which should be taking virtually no CPU resources.

• Is it a single Eikon process that takes up all the CPU or is the load split between multiple processes?

Single Eikon process, I guess.

Do you see this CPU consumption when none of your scripts are running? Yes

After rebooting, CPU consumption is reduced. However, it keeps coming every 2 hours. I have to reboot again and again.

Actually, I don't need any workspace or figure or anything like that. What I need is to use eikon as a proxy for my python script. I hope Eikon can just sit there and do nothing.

Do you have a lite product for this?

• If you'd like to explore other Thomson Reuters product offerings, I suggest you reach out to your Thomson Reuters account manager, who will be happy to help you select the product that best fits your needs. E.g. depending on your data requirements you may want to check out Elektron datafeed or Datascope. As far as I can see your company already subscribes to both of these Enterprise products. Another resource is your company's market data department, who have a full view of the market data product portfolio available to you and can tell you how you can access those products.

• If your preference stays with Eikon, I suggest you open a support case with Thomson Reuters Helpdesk. For all I can tell the behavior you describe is not normal. Thomson Reuters Support can identify the process that exhibits abnormal CPU utilization and from command line switches used to start the process discern what the process is used for, which can help identify the root cause.