Hi -

I queried the following get_symbology:

ek.get_symbology(['EAT','LB','WSM'])

...and received the response

error lipperID

EAT NaN 71000219

LB No best match available NaN

WSM No best match available NaN

Which is weird because all 3 of those should be proper RICs (I looked them up in the platform, plus am able to call get_data with them).

Most other tickers behave as expected, for instance:

ek.get_symbology(['AEP','AEO','AEF'])

returns:

CUSIP ISIN OAPermID RIC lipperID ticker

AEP 025537101 US0255371017 4295903333 AEP NaN AEP

AEO 02553E106 US02553E1064 4295912473 AEO 68143943 AEO

AEF 00301W105 US00301W1053 4295901107 AEF 40003306 AEF

Is there a reason why the function call doesn't seem to be finding data for these RICs?

Thanks very much.

Best Answer

• @574c708d-6b25-445f-8303-2b495473ec99
    You're not doing anything wrong. The issue is with the backend service underlying get_symbology method. I have created service case #07204564 on your behalf with Refinitiv Helpdesk. The Helpdesk will get in touch with you regarding the progress on the case.
    As an alternative I may suggest using get_data method with fields TR.ISIN, TR.CUSIP etc instead of get_symbology method.

Answers

• Hi @574c708d-6b25-445f-8303-2b495473ec99

You can try with:

ek.get_symbology((['EAT','LB','WSM']),from_symbol_type="ticker", to_symbol_type="RIC" , bestMatch=False)
  • OK but then if I look at the output, those inputs that I put in the list should all be valid RICs right? So I still don't get why it is not working if I input the RICs as such and don't ask for all possible matches... I don't want a list of possible symbols I just want to know the values (tickers, cusips, sedols, etc) that match those literal RICs

• As an input you can provide valid 'CUSIP', 'ISIN', 'SEDOL', 'RIC', 'ticker', 'lipperID' or 'IMO'

and then you can convert that to 'CUSIP', 'ISIN', 'SEDOL', 'RIC', 'ticker', 'lipperID', 'IMO', 'OAPermID'

e.g:

to_symbol_type="RIC"
    to_symbol_type="CUSIP"
    to_symbol_type="SEDOL"

there is no bestMatch assigned to those symbols

• Maybe I'm not explaining clearly but I am entering what should be *unique* RICs. I want unique ids like CUSIPs from those (was using default params but I can specify if it helps get my point across). So for instance the below:

ek.get_symbology((['EAT','LB','WSM']), from_symbol_type="RIC", to_symbol_type="CUSIP")

Gives me nothing... To make it more pointed, the below should return the same as my input (converting a RIC into a RIC), yet it doesn't (?)

ek.get_symbology((['EAT','LB','WSM']), from_symbol_type="RIC", to_symbol_type="RIC")

(All works fine with many other tickers, just not these)

• @marcin.bunkowskido you see what I mean in that last comment/clarification? I believe it is working improperly for these RICs, but let me know if I am just doing something wrong