Eikon API Hangs and doesn't give error message, then other times it works fine. It really seems to

If I run

import eikon as ek

then run

ek.set_app_key('xxxxxxx') t

then run

data = ek.get_timeseries(['.SPXTR'], fields='CLOSE', start_date='2020-02-12', end_date='2021-02-08', interval='daily')

It works, most of the time. However, if I run it all in one scrip it will hang without giving an error and I have to restart spyder. This can't be by design so what can I do to fix this? Thanks.

Best Answer

• After discussing it further with the development team, I am going to use the DSWS API instead. I have not had any issues with it and it seems to be a little more polished than the Eikon one. Thanks, and this thread can be closed.

Answers

• @adam-s.fay I have tried the following with Spyder v3.7 and it works fine for me:

import eikon as ek
    import pandas as pd
    import numpy as np
    ek.set_app_key('YOUR API KEY HERE')

data = ek.get_timeseries(['.SPXTR'], fields='CLOSE', start_date='2020-02-12', end_date='2021-02-08', interval='daily')

print(data)

Can you try that? I hope this can help.

• Hi Jason, thanks for the response, but unfortunately it still just hangs at runfile. It doesn't give an error message, but it will work if I run each line individually. Probably one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen in coding.

• @adam-s.fay are you able to run this code properly in a jupyter notebook for example?

• Ha, it does work in jupyter notebook, but why won't it work in spyder?

• Ha, it does work in jupyter notebook, but why won't it work in spyder?

• @adam-s.fay what version of spyder are you running (also what version of eikon python library (ek.__version__)? It is working for me with spyder 3.7. Pretty sure its a spyder thing. Maybe downgrade to a major release earlier and see if that helps. Apols - I can't suggest more than that.

I hope this can help.

• I am running spyder 3.7, IPython 7.20.0, and eikon 1.1.8.