What is FUND_UNIV column for a stock/ticker?

When I type "CODECREATOR” in Eikon toolbar, it provides a list of columns/attributes available for any stock. One of them is “FUND_UNIV”, which has description “fund universe”, but I’m confused about what it means for a stock? Does it mean the funds that the stock belongs to or if the stock is an ETF, it means the universe included in that ETF? Appreciate any help!

Best Answer

• bob.lee
    Answer ✓

@kelly.he, "Fund Universe" (or "Asset Universe") is the top level fund or asset type in Lipper's database. It's description is "Asset Universe is hierarchically above Asset Type and is a broad characteristic that describes the asset, such as Mutual Fund, Exchange Traded Fund, or Insurance Fund.". Thus, it means, for example if the fund is an ETF, it is under the fund universe "Exchange Traded Fund".

I noted you mentioned "stock". An ETF is a "stock" and also a fund at the same time. If you are looking / studying it as a fund, then the Lipper data and functions is helpful, but if you are studying it as a stock, such as focusing on its trading volume, daily high/low, bid/ask, etc, then you should look at other systems/app.