Unable to connect to AWS server using EMA RTSDK -2.0.1.L2 - Internal SysError 10057 client connect(

Hi,

I do have an almost 1 year old C++ application that is connecting to Refinitiv servers using a batch list and is working perfectly fine using EZD. Clients also use it in TREP infrastructure and all is fine.

Now, I want to update it to the latest rebranded API EMA RTSDK-2.0.1.L2 and connect to the AWS servers.Theoretically, after updating the code to link to the latest API, and changing the server/port in EmaConfig.xml, all should continue to work, but the reality is that is not working and I do not know what I do wrong.

I am on 1 month Real Time Optimized trial at the moment, I have the correct API token, and Machine password, and client id but, connection to the server is not happening.

The way I register now is (notice that serviceName is commented-out in the sample, but I have tried with and without it and when I did use it I used ELEKTRON_DIRECT or DIRECT_FEED, it does not make any difference)

OmmConsumer consumer(OmmConsumerConfig().consumerName(consumerName.c_str())

.clientId("<this is the api token>")

.username("<this is the machine id>")

.password("<this is the 30+ chars password>"));

consumer.registerClient(ReqMsg()/*.serviceName(serviceName.c_str())*/

.payload(ElementList().addArray(refinitiv::ema::rdm::ENAME_BATCH_ITEM_LIST, symbolArray).complete()), myClient);

The below errors I get:

Case 1:

EmaConfig.xml has for Channel_1:

<ChannelType value="ChannelType::RSSL_SOCKET"/>

<Host value="emea-3-t1.streaming-pricing-api.refinitiv.com"/>

<Port value="14002"/>

In the ema log in verbose mode is all OK(with no error) until I get:

Received ChannelDownReconnecting event on channel Channel_1

Instance Name Consumer_1_1

RsslReactor 0x0000000007B75E80

RsslChannel 0x0000000007B75E80

Error Id -1

Internal sysError 10057

Error Location C:\Jenkins\workspace\ESDKCore_RCDEV\OS\VS140-64\rcdev\source\rtsdk\Cpp-C\Eta\Impl\Reactor\rsslReactorWorker.c:1241

Error Text <C:\Jenkins\workspace\ESDKCore_RCDEV\OS\VS140-64\rcdev\source\rtsdk\Cpp-C\Eta\Impl\Transport\rsslSocketTransportImpl.c:6068> Error: 1002 ipcConnecting() client connect() failed. System errno: (10057)

Case 2:

<ChannelType value="ChannelType::RSSL_ENCRYPTED"/>

<Port value="443">

ClientName: ChannelCallbackClient

Severity: Warning

Text: Received ChannelDownReconnecting event on channel Channel_1

RsslReactor 0x0000000007B7DD70

RsslChannel 0x0000000007B7DD70

Error Id -1

Internal sysError 0

Error Location C:\Jenkins\workspace\ESDKCore_RCDEV\OS\VS140-64\rcdev\source\rtsdk\Cpp-C\Eta\Impl\Reactor\rsslReactorWorker.c:1241

Error Text <C:\Jenkins\workspace\ESDKCore_RCDEV\OS\VS140-64\rcdev\source\rtsdk\Cpp-C\Eta\Impl\Transport\ripcinetutils.c:1749> ripcWinInetInitConnection invalid HTTP ack

Case 3:

<ChannelType value="ChannelType::RSSL_HTTP"/>

<Port value="443"/>

RsslReactor 0x0000000007B427D0

RsslChannel 0x0000000007B427D0

Error Id -1

Internal sysError 0

Error Location C:\Jenkins\workspace\ESDKCore_RCDEV\OS\VS140-64\rcdev\source\rtsdk\Cpp-C\Eta\Impl\Reactor\rsslReactorWorker.c:1324

Error Text Initialization timed out.

Case 4:

<ChannelType value="ChannelType::RSSL_HTTP"/>

<Port value="14002"/>

RsslReactor 0x0000000007B44080

RsslChannel 0x0000000007B44080

Error Id -1

Internal sysError 0

Error Text <C:\Jenkins\workspace\ESDKCore_RCDEV\OS\VS140-64\rcdev\source\rtsdk\Cpp-C\Eta\Impl\Transport\ripcinetutils.c:410> winInetCallback error - HTTPSendRequest unable to complete successfully

Case 5:

<EncryptedProtocolType value="EncryptedProtocolType::RSSL_SOCKET"/>

<Port value="14002"/>

RsslReactor 0x0000000007AE6160

RsslChannel 0x0000000007AE6160

Error Id -1

Internal sysError 10057

Error Text <C:\Jenkins\workspace\ESDKCore_RCDEV\OS\VS140-64\rcdev\source\rtsdk\Cpp-C\Eta\Impl\Transport\ripcsslutils.c:1746> Error: 1002 ripcSSLInit client connect() failed. System errno: 10057

I did wrote a line of code to read through the self-discovery service the AWS servers so I know that the host is correct because If I use in EmaConfig.xml

<EncryptedProtocolType value="EncryptedProtocolType::RSSL_SOCKET"/> I do discover the host:ports

"apac-3-t1.streaming-pricing-api.refinitiv.com":14002

"emea-3-t1.streaming-pricing-api.refinitiv.com":14002

"amer-3-t1.streaming-pricing-api.refinitiv.com" :14002

and If I change to <EncryptedProtocolType value="EncryptedProtocolType::RSSL_WEBSOCKET"/>

I do discover the same hosts on 443 port

"apac-3-t1.streaming-pricing-api.refinitiv.com":443

"emea-3-t1.streaming-pricing-api.refinitiv.com":443

"amer-3-t1.streaming-pricing-api.refinitiv.com" :443

Based on my understanding, I should use in the channel definition

<ChannelType value="ChannelType::RSSL_ENCRYPTED"/> with

and

<Port value="14002"/>

as 14002 is used/needed when <EncryptedProtocolType value="EncryptedProtocolType::RSSL_SOCKET"/>

as <EncryptedProtocolType value="EncryptedProtocolType::RSSL_WEBSOCKET"/> is needed when port 443 is used and also when request message format needed is tr_json2.

So based on the documentation I think a Channel_4 similar setup should work (based on the EmaConfig.xml sample), but it does not work for me at the moment for some reason.

Can anyone has any pointers please what i do wrong as this task should be a matter of changing the code to the latest API, updating the host/port to the new AWS host and it should work.

I am out of ideas what is going wrong, and now I am at the point to debug deeper into EMA code to understand what is happening.

Debugging the EMA/ETA code, the code execution is all seems is correct until the point is calling

retval = (*(rsslSocketChannel->transportFuncs->connected))(rsslSocketChannel->stream,

rsslSocketChannel->transportInfo);

in rsslSokectTransportImpl.c in

ipcConnecting(RsslSocketChannel *rsslSocketChannel, ripcSessInProg *inPr, RsslError *error)

{

RsslInt32 retval;

ripcRWFlags rwflags = RIPC_RW_WAITALL;

_DEBUG_TRACE_CONN("called\n")

rwflags |= (rsslSocketChannel->blocking ? RIPC_RW_BLOCKING : 0);

if (rsslSocketChannel->blocking == 0)

{

/* Check to see if the connect() call has completed. */

retval = (*(rsslSocketChannel->transportFuncs->connected))(rsslSocketChannel->stream,

rsslSocketChannel->transportInfo);

which returns -1 and logging the error:

----

Just to add, there are some utility scripts on github at https://github.com/Refinitiv/websocket-api from where I do execute
market_price_authentication.py --hostname emea-3-t1.streaming-pricing-api.refinitiv.com --port 443 --user <machine_id> --password <password> --app_id <token>

and the outcome I get from this script is:

requests.exceptions.ConnectionError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='127.0.0.1', port=8443): Max retries exceeded with url: /getToken (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x0000017EEC0F6250>: Failed to establish a new connection: [WinError 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it'))

I tried with port 443(which i think is the correct port in this websocket utility script case) and 14002(just to test) and the outcome is the same

Thank you

Best Answer

Answers

• Ignore this please

• @umer.nalla

Thank you umer for your input,

1. Yes The AppKey is enabled and all tick boxes are selected:

- API Types: Side by Side API, EDP API, Eikon Data API

2. Interesting, when I used the github python script market_price_authentication.py I got an error as I said before, but using a script from the examples folder from websocket-api/Applications/Examples/RDP/python at master · Refinitiv/websocket-api · GitHub it seems the credentials are OK.

Executing market_price_rdpgw_authentication.py it does work in the same way from my work environment as well as the personal environment. I do get an output as below which is confirmation that credentials work:

Sending authentication request with password to https://api.refinitiv.com:443/auth/oauth2/v1/token ...

Refinitiv Data Platform Authentication succeeded. RECEIVED:

{

"access_token":"eyJ......

Connecting to WebSocket wss://emea-3-t1.streaming-pricing-api.refinitiv.com:443/WebSocket ...

WebSocket successfully connected!

3. I did look on EMA Quick Start guide, I guess maybe I did miss something so I will double check again.

I tried before and now using the EMAConfig.xml provided in the SDK and I use Consumer_4 which is using Channel_4.

For this channel I added as extra parameters:

<Port value="14002"/>

everything else remaining the same.

But still the ema log gives me the same outcome:

loggerMsg

TimeStamp: 17:47:10.296

Text: Received ChannelDownReconnecting event on channel Channel_4

Instance Name Consumer_4_1

RsslReactor 0x0000000007B3A530

RsslChannel 0x0000000007B3A530

Error Id -1

Internal sysError 10057

Error Text <C:\Jenkins\workspace\ESDKCore_RCDEV\OS\VS140-64\rcdev\source\rtsdk\Cpp-C\Eta\Impl\Transport\ripcsslutils.c:1746> Error: 1002 ripcSSLInit client connect() failed. System errno: 10057

loggerMsgEnd

4. Another thing I noticed and i want to ask, is that when application starts the verbose mode of the ema log says:

supportBatchRequest 0

My application is using batch list subscription. so the question I have as extra is that: Is there a EmaConfig.xml parameter that I have to set to have batch subscription available ? Or is not needed.

As you can assume, I cannot confirm now if batch subscription is working or not as i cannot arrive at the point in my code where I call consumer.registerClient(...) in order to subscribe to the price updates, dues to the connect() failed issue I have, but I am asking as is also on the back of my mind.

Any extra help is appreciated, and in the meantime, as I said, I will check again the EMA Quick Start guide doc.

Interesting is that the app I have works perfectly fine in TREP environment in the banks, as well as on my personal testing environment at work where I use EZD.

So, in theory, all it should work the same considering that i do point to the new AWS hostname:port in the EmaConfig.xml file, using the right parameters as in the sample EmaConfig.xml and of course, I make use of the MachineID clientId and the password when I create my OmmConsumer.

OmmConsumer consumer(OmmConsumerConfig().consumerName(consumerName.c_str())

.clientId("...").username("...").password("..."));

Thank you,

Kind Regards,

Ionut

• Hi @Ionut T

Please do not change the default EMAConfig.xml file - just use it as is, ensuring it is in the working folder exactly as described in the QuickStart i.e.:

Refinitiv Real-Time -- Optimized Configuration

The SDK package includes a configuration file with the default config required to connect to Refinitiv Real-Time -- Optimized - EmaConfig.xml in the source code folder - as noted in the Paths table above.

Copy the Cpp-C\Ema\Examples\Training\100_Series\113_MP_SessionMgmt\EmaConfig.xml file to the relevant subdirectory of Cpp-C\Ema\Executables\.

If you note the comments in the default EMAConfig.xml for Channel_4, it states:

<!-- EMA discovers a host and a port from RDP service discovery for the specified location when both of them are not set and the session management is enable. -->
    <Location value="us-east"/>
    <EnableSessionManagement value="1"/>

I recommend you follow the QuickStart exactly as described, just to ensure all is OK, before attempting to connect with your own code.

• Hi @umer.nalla

Thank you for your feedback.

I am checking now the documentation including EMA Quick Start - Connecting to Refinitiv Real-Time -- Optimized.

In the meantime, I do get mixed results using the 113_MP_SessionMgmt sample code.

1. Using 113_MP_SessionMgmt using the default EmaConfig.xml provided, if I pass the argument -websocket this makes the application to use Channel_5 and Dictionary_2.

With this, I get access denied for the IBM.N which is interesting.

StatusMsg

streamId="5"

domain="MarketPrice Domain"

state="Closed / Suspect / Not entitled / 'Access Denied: User req to PE(62)'"

name="IBM.N"

nameType="1"

serviceId="257"

serviceName="ELEKTRON_DD"

StatusMsgEnd

However, if the Item financial item I change it from "IBM.N" to "EUR=" for example, it does work indeed as I do get price updates.

RefreshMsg

streamId="5"

domain="MarketPrice Domain"

Solicited

RefreshComplete

ClearCache

state="Open / Ok / None / ''"

itemGroup="00 00"

permissionData="03 01 01 52 6C"

qos="RealTime/JustInTimeConflated"

seqNum="42430"

name="EUR="

nameType="1"

serviceId="257"

serviceName="ELEKTRON_DD"

Payload dataType="FieldList"

FieldList

FieldEntry fid="1" name="PROD_PERM" dataType="UInt" value="526"

2. So, with websocket is working.

Using 113_MP_SessionMgmt using the default EmaConfig.xml provided, If I do not pass -websocket to the argument list, this makes the sample file to use Channel_4 and Dictionary_1(Dictionary_1 has no definition as has the default value always present:

<!-- Dictionary is optional: defaulted to "ChannelDictionary")

Using this config it does not work at all when I execute the sample file, as I do get exactly the same error as with my main application (client connect() failed) - which tells me nothing might be wrong with my application but is the same config issue I have here in the sampel file using Channel_4:

loggerMsg

TimeStamp: 13:02:38.098

Text: Received ChannelDownReconnecting event on channel Channel_4

Instance Name Consumer_4_1

RsslReactor 0x0000026FC446CCF0

RsslChannel 0x0000026FC446CCF0

Error Id -1

Internal sysError 10057

Error Location D:\Jenkins\workspace\ESDKCore_RCDEV\OS\VS142-64\rcdev\source\rtsdk\Cpp-C\Eta\Impl\Reactor\rsslReactorWorker.c:1241

Error Text <D:\Jenkins\workspace\ESDKCore_RCDEV\OS\VS142-64\rcdev\source\rtsdk\Cpp-C\Eta\Impl\Transport\ripcsslutils.c:1746> Error: 1002 ripcSSLInit client connect() failed. System errno: 10057

loggerMsgEnd

Exception Type='OmmInvalidUsageException', Text='login failed (timed out after waiting 45000 milliseconds) for :)', ErrorCode='-4052'

So the question here is: why is not working with Channel_4 which means:

<EnableSessionManagement value="1"/>

but is working with Channel_5 using websocket.

This is also inline with the Python utility script which is using websocket.

Again, I did not modify any of the sample files in 113_MP_SessionMgmt .

Edit: Trying also Channel_5 settings which is using Dictionary_2 which needs RDMFieldDictionary file as well as enumtype.def file, my custom application also connects and works.

So, up to now, everything is similar: My custom app works similarly as 113_MP_SessionMgmt but using only websocket(Channel_5 , Dictionary_2 and RDMFieldDictionary file as well as enumtype.def file) and fails in the same way as the 113_MP_SessionMgmt using Channel_4.

I have to find out why fails as above with Channel_4.

Thank you,

Kind Regards

Ionut

• Hi @Ionut T

Firstly, the 'Closed / Suspect / Not entitled / 'Access Denied: User req to PE(62)' indicates you are not licenced for that particular instrument - quite common with trial accounts. You can ask your Refinitiv Account manager to advise what data you are licenced for.

In terms of the RSSL connection not working - but the Websocket connection working, the most common reason for this kind of behaviour is corporate network issues - e.g. firewalls/ports etc

The one obvious difference being the port number - where Websocket uses 443 and RSSL uses 14002. Are you able to discuss this with your corporate network/security team to look into this?

• Hi @umer.nalla,

Yes i also tried specifying the host and port in EmaConfig.xml as to 443 for websocket and 14002 for RSSL and is working with websocket only.

I will get the sample projects on my home PC to double check the network security ports aspect.

If the sample will work on local personal environment deffo is a network securitity issue, if I will get the same result than might be something in refinitiv environment in regard to the permissions.

If it proves to work locally, then yes i will address the issue further with the company IT team.

Will let you know.

Kind Regards,

Ionut

• Hi @umer.nalla

Happy days,

Same sample project 113_MP_SessionMgmt works as well with the Refinitiv credentials I have using RSSL and not only using websocket, once i setup the PC accordingly.

Seems it is indeed based on the outcome I see is a network/firewall issue in my work environment.

I will contact my It department to confirm and discuss further.

Thank you again for all the help.

Kind Regards,

Ionut

• Fallowing the guide and 113_MP_SessionMgmt project sample, and trying on work environment and also on home personal PC environment, solved the mistery.

Issues were:

1. Using websocket config approach I did not use the RDMFieldDictionary and the enumtype.def.

2.Using RSSL_SOCKET approach, issue is 14002 seems blocked at company domain level as connect() always fails but on personal environment it does work OK.

Thank you umer.

Kind Regards,

Ionut

• Hi @Ionut T

Thanks for the update and apologies it took so long to get their.

I had a suspicion it was network thing, but usually the Websocket ports are also closed off - so that was a red herring for me.

If your IT Department needs some guidance, they can try and raise a Ticket at My.Refinitiv for the Refinitiv Real-Time - Optimized product.

They may also find the RTO install and config guide of use - Documentation | Refinitiv Developers

• Hi @umer.nalla

Yes, my main application did use in the past with old ELEKTRON SDK as well RSSL_SOCKET 14002 but through EZD daemon proxy.

So that is why I also got delayed as knowing is working using EZD and the old SDK on 14002 then 14002 is not blocked right ?

But that applied to my local machine port, but it seems from the outside world at domain level it is closed or at least it seems so.