how can we get news directly on codebook?

how can we get news directly on codebook? can it be done without the api key

i am using currently

df = ek.get_news_headlines('Topic:COVID AND Language:LEN AND Source:RTRS', date_from='2021-04-01T09:00:00',date_to='2021-04-02T09:00:00',count=50)

df.head()

is it possible to do it directly on codebook? if so function?

Best Answer

• @akshmita so Codebook uses a default app key - you obviously have to be logged into Eikon in order to launch codebook.

import refinitiv.dataplatform.eikon as ek
    from IPython.display import HTML

ek.set_app_key('DEFAULT_CODE_BOOK_APP_KEY')

then use your API call:

df = ek.get_news_headlines('Topic:COVID AND Language:LEN AND Source:RTRS', date_from='2021-04-01T09:00:00',date_to='2021-04-02T09:00:00',count=50)
    df.head()

and as expected it works fine:

Screenshot 2021-09-21 at 10.49.59.png

Answers

• thanks @jason.ramchandani

I have another issue: eikon news through api should be available for last 15 months,

however i am getting from june 2020 (last 12 months)

any way to sort the issue?

• @akshmita So the limit of news headlines per API call is 100 (in your case you limit it at 50) - to get more headlines than this you will have to iterate using date as a parameter. Please check the generalised example below:

import pandas as pd
    import datetime
    from datetime import datetime
    import dateutil.relativedelta
    now = datetime.now()
    maxenddate = now - dateutil.relativedelta.relativedelta(months=15) #months,days
    print(now, maxenddate)
    newsdf = pd.DataFrame()
    startdf=now
    while startdf >= maxenddate:
    try:
    df1 = ek.get_news_headlines('Topic:COVID AND Language:LEN AND Source:RTRS', date_to = startdf, count=100)
    startdf = df1['versionCreated'].min().replace(second=0,microsecond=0,tzinfo=None).strftime('%Y/%m/%d %H:%M')
    startdf = datetime.strptime(startdf,'%Y/%m/%d %H:%M')
    if len(newsdf):
    newsdf = pd.concat([newsdf, df1], axis=0)
    else:
    newsdf = df1
    except Exception:
    break

newsdf.info()

This will give you 15 months worth of news for a query (obviously you can just replace my query with whatever query you want). I trust this can help.

• @jason.ramchandani thanks for the code,

i tried the code, but getting 0 results, may i doing something wrong?

import datetime

from datetime import datetime

import dateutil.relativedelta

now = datetime.now()

print(now, maxenddate)

output:

2021-09-23 11:03:46.402525 2020-06-23 11:03:46.402525

newsdf = pd.DataFrame()

startdf=now

while startdf >= maxenddate:

try:

df1 = ek.get_news_headlines('Topic:COVID AND Language:LEN AND Source:RTRS', date_to = startdf, count=100)

startdf = df1['versionCreated'].min().replace(second=0,microsecond=0,tzinfo=None).strftime('%Y/%m/%d %H:%M')

startdf = datetime.strptime(startdf,'%Y/%m/%d %H:%M')

if len(df1):

newsdf = pd.concat([newsdf, df1], axis=0)

else:

newsdf = df1

except Exception:

break

newsdf.info()

output:

<class 'pandas.core.frame.DataFrame'> Index: 0 entries Empty DataFrame
  • @akshmita apols I found 2 small errors in the code I pasted - one missing import and if len(df1): should be if len(newsdf): - I have altered the code above and it works fine. You might want to test it by not running the full 15 months of news - as this will take some time - maybe change the following line:

to

maxenddate = now - dateutil.relativedelta.relativedelta(days=3) #months,days

I hope this can help.