How do we retrieve the FID values via EIKON API for Stock Futures like RELIX1:NS (RICs with ":") usi

How do we retrieve the FID values via EIKON API for Stock Futures like RELIX1:NS (RICs with ":") using python. We are able to retrieve the data for other such RICs with no special character. Input list does not accept the RICs with ":"

Best Answer

• raksina.samasiri
    Answer ✓

hi @arun.mahabala

Could you please also provide the code used?

I tried with the code below and it works

import eikon as ek
    ek.set_app_key('#### EIKON APP KEY ####')

import pandas as pd
    df = pd.read_csv('220104.csv')
    rics = df['RIC'].tolist()

data, err = ek.get_data(rics, 'PRC_TICK')
    data

1641307004416.png

here's the CSV file 1641307058359.png

Answers

• @arun.mahabala You can use the Data Item Browser app (type DIB into eikon search bar) to check all fields available for any RIC. Please see below the output - you can see real-time FIDs as well as all other non-realtime fields - you can use the content classification filter on the left hand side to highlight only specific content sets to reduce the number of fields shown:

1637141896328.png

Another way is to open a quote window with the RIC and then right click and select Template ==> Display All Fields - this will display all real-time FIDs for any RIC.

1637142144882.png

I hope this can help.

• Thanks for the suggestion. This is possible for Quote and DIB app.

However, using API if you want to extract data for some RICs and if your input RIC has ":" (sample RIC is <RELIX1:NS>), then it fails to extract the data from API. your query would just fail to move further.

• @arun.mahabala

<RELIX1:NS> may be delisted. I can use <RELIX1:NS^1> with the get_timeseries method.

data = ek.get_timeseries('RELIX1:NS^1', 
                                 start_date='2010-09-22', 
                                 end_date='2012-10-20',
                                 interval='daily')
    data

The output is:

1638515564569.png

You can contact the content support team directly MyRefinitiv to verify if this RIC is still valid.

• RICs with ":" can not just be imported (via CSV or XLSX) when using EIKON API. It accepts other special characters such as ".", "/" etc.

Example RIC: RELIF2:NS (RELIX1:NS is not expired)

Does anyone have any solution to this.

• hi @arun.mahabala

the code below can be used to get the data of RIC 'RELIF2:NS' properly

1640689668339.png

However, for RIC 'RELIX1:NS' the error message mentioned that it is invalid and it cannot be found on Eikon desktop too.

You can contact the content support team directly MyRefinitiv to verify if this RIC is still valid.

1640689607328.png

• If you add Individual RICs to your API query, you can retrieve.. there is no problem with that.

Problem is only if you have the bunch of RICs in a csv/xlsx where the large number of RICs are there and your query is moving to that directory & when reading the file. if any RIC in the RIC list having <:>, then it would just fail and query is not executed further.

• hi @arun.mahabala

could you please provide an example of the csv/xlsx file that could be used to replicate this problem?

• Below is the content from my input file

RIC

NIFF2

NIFG2

RELIF2:NS

RELIH2:NS

Output is generated as below:

0,RF.SD.PRC_TICK

"'NIFF2','NIFG2','RELIF2:NS','RELIH2:NS'",

I tried to snap - PRC_TICK

And, without special character, below is the data:

RIC