LOG4J security issue for ATS like service

Hello

We received the attached notice from Refinitiv : Log4j Vulnerability Update as of 15_30 GMT on 30th December 2021.pdf , and we would like to get some lights about the point related to Refinitiv Real-Time Advanced Transformation Server (ATS).

Basically, we had installed an ATS like service on our TREP infra (Real-Time Distribution System) and, from what I understood when we configured it with one of your collegue, it is not a real Advanced Transformation Server.
So my question is : is our current config impacted by the Log4j vulnerability ? If yes : how to fix it ?

Thanks,
Henri

Tagged:

Best Answer

• @Henri.GARDON

The PUB service doesn't have the Vendor element entry so it is possible that it is not a service from ATS.

However, to confirm it, you need to contact your market data team to verify the source of this service.

Answers

• Hi @Henri.GARDON,

Can you please elaborate what you mean by "ATS like service". Log4J is a product specifically used in the ATS. If your RTDS service was configured using ADS etc, and not ATS specifically, then your infrastructure is not impacted by this vulnerability.

• Basically, when we connect to our TREP infra, we have two services (via adhmon/adsmon):

1641312319279.png

IDN_RDF to retrieve real market data.
    PUB : ATS like service where we can publish our our data in some way with a command line like : ./rmdstestclient -S PUB -f post.txt -ir 1 -I 1 with post.txt containing RICs.

I guess that we are not impacted, right ?

• There can be a number of ways in which a publishing service can be setup in infrastructure. To be completely sure, please talk to your market data administrator and verify that you don't have ATS setup - to be sure.

• Hello @Henri.GARDON

According to the given PDF document, the product is the Refinitiv Real-Time Advanced Transformation Server (ATS), but your product in the capture screen is the Refinitiv Real-Time Advanced Distribution Hub (ADH) which is a totally different product.

I highly recommend you contact the ADH support team directly to verify if it is impacted by the Log4j vulnerabilities. You can contact the team via https://my.refinitiv.com/content/mytr/en/productsupport.html website.

adh-contact.png

Update:

If the PUB server is ATS, you can contact the ATS support team to verify if it is impacted by the Log4j vulnerabilities.

ats-support-contact.png

• @Henri.GARDON

You may run rmdstestclient to check the source directory message of the PUB service.

The command looks like this:

rmdsTestClient.exe -h <hostname> -p 14002 -S PUB -ct rssl -f rics.txt -X -d 3 -l stdout

If the Vendor element entry of the PUB service is DTS or ATS, the source of the PUB service could be an ATS server.

1641357972736.png

• Hi, thank you a lot for the info !

@Jirapongse with the command that you provide I have the answer attached rmdstestclient.txt and the following keywords :

<refreshMsg domainType="RSSL_DMT_SOURCE" streamId="2" containerType="RSSL_DT_MAP" flags="0x168 (RSSL_RFMF_HAS_MSG_KE Y|RSSL_RFMF_SOLICITED|RSSL_RFMF_REFRESH_COMPLETE|RSSL_RFMF_CLEAR_CACHE)" groupId="0" dataState="RSSL_DATA_OK" stream State="RSSL_STREAM_OPEN" code="RSSL_SC_NONE" text="" dataSize="539">

Then :

<elementEntry name="Name" dataType="RSSL_DT_ASCII_STRING" data="PUB"/>

And finally :

<elementEntry name="Vendor" dataType="RSSL_DT_ASCII_STRING" data="Thomson Reuters"/>

So I guess this is not a real ATS ? Do you confirm ?

Thanks,

• Confirmed with our Refinitiv contact that we are not impacted,

Thank you for the help !