how to define input parameters for get_data

Hi,

I am new to API and trying to learn. can someone provide an example to me of how to define an input parameter (RICs) for the API get_data (I would like to see If I can pass a list of selective RICs (may be as txt file) and based on that it return me the result in Jason format?

thanks

Best Answer

• @sameer.patel So you can of course read a list into an appropriate array where instruments are in quotes and separated by a comma eg: riclist = ['MSFT.O','AAPL.OQ','IBM']. If you have a list of RICs in a spreadsheet say, this can be read from a file using pandas (there are many types of read function including csv etc). I give an example of this in an article here where I have a spreadsheet called autoric1.xlsx - which has a column called RIClist.

riclist = pd.read_excel('/Users/jasonram/Downloads/autoric1.xlsx')
    allRics = riclist['RIClist'].astype(str).values.tolist()

1642671086375.png

Once you have your list of RICs in an array as above (either from reading a file or building an array in memory from user input etc - you can pass that to the ek.get_data function thus:

df, err = ek.get_data(allRics,['CF_NAME'])
    df

You should also be aware of the various throttling limits applied for the different API calls - these are detailed here.

I hope this can help.

Answers