BUG Eikon python package : using get_timeseries method with start_date > end_date

HI team,

There is a strange behavior when we use get_timeseries method with start_date > end_date, It raise an AttributeError and not a ValueError. This happens since you raise seems to raise the ValueError inside a context manager as following (your code in eikon.time_series.py):

1650617321893.png

Since str has no attribute __enter__, you can't raise that expected ValueError.

To reproduce the issue (eikon version 1.1.14):

import eikon as ek
import datetime

date_format = "%Y%m%d"
start_date = datetime.datetime.strptime("20220415", date_format)
end_date = datetime.datetime.strptime("20220414", date_format)

ek.set_app_key(API_KEY)
result = self.connection.get_timeseries(
rics=["IBM"],
fields=["OPEN", "CLOSE"],
start_date=start_date,
end_date=end_date,
raw_output=True,
normalize=True,
debug=True,
)

Thanks

Best Answer

• raksina.samasiri
    Answer ✓

Hi @guillaume.lefur ,

I've tested that this code is run successfully on Eikon Data API version 1.1.16

1664181356192.png

Hence, I'm closing this thread, please create a new question in case you have any further question

Answers

• hi @guillaume.lefur ,

Would you mind changing the code from

result = self.connection.get_timeseries(

to

result = ek.get_timeseries(

I've tried it and got an exception ValueError as the screenshot below

1650624043894.png

Please let me know in case you have any further questions

• About self.connection, it's an intern usage equivalent to your ek (i.e self.connection == ek), but the issue is not here.

And from our screenshot, its an AttributeError that has been raised, not a ValueError. ValueError is visible in your code indeed, but that's not the raised error (look at your traceback...)

• @guillaume.lefur

Yes, you are correct. It should throw the ValueError, not the AttributeError. I have submitted a new case on your behalf to the Eikon Data API support team to verify the code. The case number is 11165341.

The support team will contact you regarding this issue.

• @guillaume.lefur issue has been fixed on Eikon Data API v1.1.16 and it's ready on pyp, please upgrade your library to have a test.