Are there any APIs to BigIP

Are there any APIs for the BigIP system? Ideally I would like to give the name of a VIP and get some xml with the servers and there up/down status. I am only interested in read-only APIs. This would be used in a centralized tool to manage and handle reporting on our deployed systems. Thanks.

Answers

• Me too, even just readonly APIs would be useful to pull out lists of configuration settings (virtual servers, pools, etc) as data output.
  • Thanks for the link. The link contains a java library that can be used to query bigIP created by Tim Wick. How to use documentation is sparse, but this led me to find a solution that works for my needs.
  • Here is what I have learned reading the link provided by Peter Ketcham. You can read the current status of a pool by calling:
    http://vbias.ha.thomson.com:3777/pool?bigip={bigip_server}&name={pool_name} Which will return an xml like

FAILOVER

NONE

ENABLED

ROUND_ROBIN

The pool is available

tcp

Pool member is available

ENABLED

ENABLED

UP

... I was able to determine which bigip servers are used with my website and my pool names using BANANA. This has met my needs for now. In the future it may be helpful to know: - How to determine which bigIp servers respond to my URL (i.e.
    exchange.westlaw.com) - How to determine what pools I have responding to my URL (i.e. LSEXCHANGE-80) - If the BIAS system can reverse DNS the pool member ip address to their DNS name. (i.e. 10.214.22.14 ? eg-lseapp-b02)