Team Explorer Everywhere error when annotating file in Eclipse

Sometimes when I annotate a file in Eclipse (display the history of each line of code for a file), I get a dialog box that pops up whose title is "Error in creating version" with body of the message just saying "binary".

I don't see this all the time, and once this starts popping up, it happens hundreds or thousands of times while annotating the file with no way to stop it without killing Eclipse.

Has anyone else seen this error? Any known workarounds?

Best Answer

• TFS/TEE will not be able to annotate “binary” files (for obvious reasons). When a file is checked into TFS its encoding matters (especially if you try to annotate). Eclipse/TEE sometimes will check-in a file into TFS as a "binary" file. You can determine a file's encoding by right clicking the file (either from the project's view or from TFS source control view) and click on the properties option on the context menu that pops up. If the “encoding” is binary you will see the error you mentioned. If you want to change the encoding of the file, just click on the “Set Encoding” button and make the change. I assume you will need to check out the file and after making the encoding change you may need to check it back into TFS.