How to implement the "Download to Excel" function in an Eikon App?

Hello, I want to add the "Download to Excel" function to my App. How to export data from a HTML table to an Excel file easily? Is there a stardard existing library/plugin in our internal website? Thanks a lot in advance. Bo

Best Answer

• Hi, I don't know how advanced you want to excel file to look like, but if you want to get data just into a plain old excel sheet without any fancy formatting then there is a quick and dirty way to do it. What you are basically looking to do is to convert your HTML table data into a CSV or Tab delimited file and changing the extension of the file to .xls so that Excel will auto-open-import the file. Personally I found using tab delimited + .xls extension to work well for me. Below is some JavaScript functions that will take 2 arrays; First being an array of the data and the second being the column names. Then we send them to a function that will build a tab delimited file and push it for download to the user.
    function submit() { var dataRows = [111, 222, 333, 444, 555, 666, 777, 888, 999, 000]; var columnNames = ['Column 1', 'Column 2', 'Column 3', 'Column 4', 'Column5']; exportToExcel(columnNames, dataRows, 'MyExportedFileName'); }; function exportToExcel(columnNames, dataRows, fileName) { fileName = fileName + '.xls'; var data = convertToXls(columnNames, dataRows); if (!data) { return; } var textFileAsBlob = new Blob([data], { type: 'text/csv' }); var downloadLink = document.createElement("a"); downloadLink.download = fileName; downloadLink.href = window.webkitURL.createObjectURL(textFileAsBlob); downloadLink.click(); } function convertToXls(columnNames, dataRows) { if (!columnNames && !dataRows) { return null; } var rowCount = dataRows.length; var colCount = columnNames.length; var result = ''; for (var i = 0; i < colCount; i++) { result += columnNames[i]; if (i < colCount - 1) { result += '\t'; } } result += '\n'; var j = 0; for (var i = 0; i < rowCount; i++) { result += dataRows[i]; if (j == colCount - 1) { result += '\n'; j = 0; } else { if (i < rowCount - 1) { result += '\t'; } j++; } } return result; }; Hopefully this will be good enough to get you where you going.