Enabling Hibernate logging SQL + Query Parameters

How do I enable logging for Hibernate's SQL + the JDBC query parameters used in that SQL?

I am already able to successfully get the SQL to display, it just doesn't have the query parameters included. E.g.:

Hibernate:
select
container0_.CONTAINER_VERSION_ID as CONTAINER1_0_,
container0_.CONTAINER_ID as CONTAINER2_0_,
container0_.LAST_MODIFIED_DATE as LAST3_0_,
container0_.STATE as STATE0_,
container0_.TYPE as TYPE0_
from
CONTAINERS container0_
where
container0_.CONTAINER_ID=?
and container0_.STATE=?

Getting the SQL to display was done via the database spring context XML file:

org.hibernate.dialect.Oracle10gDialect
thread
org.hibernate.cache.NoCacheProvider
false
${hibernate.show.sql}
${hibernate.format.sql}
true
true 1, false 0

And then setting the hibernate.show.sql and hibernate.format.sql properties to true in my local .properties file:

hibernate.show.sql=true
hibernate.format.sql=true

To get the JDBC parameters to log, this StackOverflow thread indicates that I should be able to set:

log4j.logger.org.hibernate.type=trace

or

log4j.logger.org.hibernate.SQL=trace

for Hibernate 3.2.x

I've tried doing this in both my local .properties file (localdevelopment_webContent.properties file in my case), and additionally by updating my local logging config XML file

But nothing seems to work. I know there aren't too many others working on the WebContent module, but is there anyone in another module that uses Hibernate that has successfully gotten these parameters logging with Cobalt? Perhaps foldering?

Best Answer

• I've also wanted access to the prepared statement parameters being used by hibernate a few years back, but never found a solution. I did hear that using a proxy JDBC driver is a work around to get this information. The proxy JDBC driver intercepts and logs all SQL traffic before forwarding the SQL on to the database. I've never taken the time to play around with it myself. Here's a list of proxy JDBC drivers. I believe P6Spy was the industry leader when I heard about it a few years back.
    http://www.manageability.org/blog/stuff/jdbc-proxy-drivers

Answers